Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment Cambridge
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a long-term (chronic) gastrointestinal condition. In other words, it is a condition that affects the digestive system and can manifest itself with a number of symptoms. The main symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome are abdominal pain and discomfort, episodes of constipation and/or diarrhoea and/or bloating of the abdomen.
The symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome can fluctuate. There may be times when your symptoms are particularly troublesome and times when you experience no symptoms at all.
Although Irritable Bowel Syndrome poses no serious threat to health, it can have an adverse effect on a person’s quality of life. The exact causes of IBS are unknown.
How common is Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
IBS is one of the most common gastrointestinal conditions. It is estimated that 10-20% of the UK’s population are affected by Irritable Bowel Syndrome at any one time, although this figure may be higher because many people with the condition do not report their symptoms to their GP.
IBS is twice as common in women as it is in men and the condition normally develops in people who are between 20-30 years of age, but it can affect people of any age.
While there is no cure for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, the symptoms can be controlled by lifestyle changes and remedies.
Therapies for Help with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Acupuncture benefits the improvement of physical health conditions as well as affective disorders and instills a feeling of increased mental clarity ... read more
- Corrective Holistic Exercise Kinesiology The CHEK system is multidisciplinary; therefore, it prioritises your personal programme according to your financial and time commitments to address the areas that will give you the greatest long-term reward. ... read more
- Customised Nutrition looks at your metabolic type in order to increase energy and mental clarity, relieve cravings & hunger between meals, provide improved digestion & immunity, excellence in athletics, a decrease in fatigue, anxiety & even depression. Ideal weight can be achieved without a struggle and you can prevent and reverse many degenerative conditions. ... read more
- Functional Health Care assesses your current health and wellbeing and the practitioner can advise you on the various options available. Your assessment will be thorough and in depth and look at your health, diet, lifestyle, posture, fitness, happiness and coping abilities. ... read more
- Nutrition & Lifestyle Consultations A qualified nutritionist can offer advice for you as a unique individual in accordance with your lifestyle, budget and goals and aspirations for your health and well-being. ... read more
- Western Herbal Medicine is a particularly good approach for chronic conditions and ill health that is ill-defined by general practice, as we step back and take time to really investigate how the whole body interacts and impacts on symptoms ... read more