Slipped disc Treatment Cambridge
Slipped disc is the common name for the medical terms ‘prolapsed’ or ‘herniated’ disc.
A slipped disc most commonly occurs in people who are between 30-50 years of age. The condition affects twice as many men as women. Although back pain is a common problem for adults over the age of 30, a slipped disc is the cause of less than 1 in 20 cases of sudden back pain. Most back pain is the result of a muscle or ligament strain.
What are discs?
The discs you have in your back are protective, circular pads of cartilage (connective tissue) that lie in between the bones of your spine (vertebrae). The discs are responsible for cushioning the vertebrae when you jump or run. The discs are made from a tough, fibrous case, which contains a softer, gel-like substance.
What is a slipped disc?
A slipped disc occurs when the outer part of your disc ruptures, allowing the gel inside to bulge and protrude outwards from in between your vertebrae. The damaged disc can put pressure on your whole spinal cord or on a single nerve fibre. This means that a slipped disc can cause pain both in the area of the protruding disc and in any part of your body which is controlled by the nerve the disc is pressing on.
A slipped disc occurs most frequently in your lower back, but any disc can rupture, including those in your upper back and neck.
Therapies for Help with Slipped Disc problems
- Alexander Technique offers skills to prevent pain & discomfort and to rediscover your natural balance. It is recommended that you have a series of lessons which will allow you to thoroughly understand and absorb the technique which will help you to experience good use and free you from unhelpful habits. ... read more
- CKT Chirokinetic Therapy assists with correcting imbalances and redirecting energy to depleted areas. It has been shown to be particularly good at dealing with allergies ... read more
- Corrective Holistic Exercise Kinesiology The CHEK system is multidisciplinary; therefore, it prioritises your personal programme according to your financial and time commitments to address the areas that will give you the greatest long-term reward. ... read more
- McTimoney Chiropractic If you suffer with pain in the back, shoulders, neck or general pain, discomfort or stiffness in the joints then you should consider McTimoney Chiropractic treatment. It is suitable for almost everyone including babies, children, pregnant women (except in the first trimester), the elderly, and adults of all ages. ... read more
- Osteopathy focuses on the health and well-being of the musculo-skeletal system. Techniques range from the extremely gentle pressure of cranial osteopathy to high velocity thrusts to mobilize certain joints. ... read more