Insomnia Treatment Cambridge
Insomnia is the disturbance of a normal sleep pattern. For example, when you cannot get to sleep or wake up after only a few hours sleep.
Sleep is a state of consciousnesses, which gives your body time to rest and build up your strength. While you are asleep, your body goes through different stages at approximately 90 minute cycles. These include light sleep, deep sleep and dreaming, also known as rapid eye movement (REM) sleep.
Difficulties with sleep can appear in a variety of ways:
- Difficulty getting to sleep (sleep onset insomnia). This is most common in young people.
- Waking in the night (frequent nocturnal awakening). This is most common in older people.
- Waking early in the morning – the least common type of sleep disturbance.
- Not feeling refreshed after sleep. You may have trouble functioning normally during the day, feel irritable, tired or find it difficult to concentrate.
- Waking when you have been disturbed from sleep by pain or noise.
Insomnia can last for days, months or even years and can be split into three categories:
- Transient insomnia, lasting for 2-3 days.
- Short-term insomnia, lasting for more than a few days but less than 3 weeks.
- Chronic insomnia can be defined as insomnia most nights for 3 weeks or longer.
Chronic insomnia can lead to mental health problems such as depression or misuse of alcohol or other medicines in order to gain sleep.
Every individual is different so it is hard to define what normal sleep is for you. However, factors which may affect sleep include your age, lifestyle, diet and environment.
It is important to know that nearly everyone has problems sleeping at some time or another and it is thought that a third of people in the UK have bouts of insomnia.
Therapies for Help with Insomnia
- Corrective Holistic Exercise KinesiologyThe CHEK system is multidisciplinary; therefore, it prioritises your personal programme according to your financial and time commitments to address the areas that will give you the greatest long-term reward.... read more
- EFT Emotional Freedom Techniqueis a type of energy psychology therapy where you can release emotional tension through tapping acupuncture points on your face and upper body. The thought behind all forms of energy psychology therapy is that the cause of all negative emotions is a disruption in the body’s energy system.... read more
- Functional Health Careassesses your current health and wellbeing and the practitioner can advise you on the various options available. Your assessment will be thorough and in depth and look at your health, diet, lifestyle, posture, fitness, happiness and coping abilities.... read more
- Hypnotherapyuses hypnosis as a tool for helping people to achieve greater levels of confidence, better health and increased emotional stability. It is especially recommended for anyone interested in increasing their self-awareness.... read more
- Kinesiologyis quick, gentle and non-invasive form of therapy and will help you discover how your body is feeling about the life you are living. By bringing your attention to how your body is responding it makes it easier to know what is right for you.... read more
- Massage Therapynot only provides relaxation and relief to muscle strain and fatigue, a therapeutic massage may improve your health. The many benefits to massage therapy, including physical, emotional, and physiological improvements in the body... read more
- Western Herbal Medicineis a particularly good approach for chronic conditions and ill health that is ill-defined by general practice, as we step back and take time to really investigate how the whole body interacts and impacts on symptoms... read more